Church History12 Dec 2012
The church was founded on April 16, 1926 as the Original Solid Rock Baptist Church of New Orleans. On March 27, 1930, by a majority vote, the name was changed to the New Hope Baptist Church, Inc.
The church moved from its original location of 2715 Washington Avenue to its present location 1807 LaSalle Street in 1965.
In November of 1985, the church’s educational complex was completed and later named the F. H. Dunn, Sr. Educational Building in honor of the late pastor, Rev. F. H. Dunn, Sr. In 1988 the New Hope Baptist Church elected the Reverend John C. Raphael, Jr. as Pastor. Under his leadership the membership more than doubled and new ministries and programs were developed to meet the growing needs of the church and community. After 25 years of faithful service, the Lord called Pastor Raphael from labor to eternal rest.
On August 4, 2013, the Church elected the Reverend Jamaal Weathersby as its leader. Pastor Weathersby received the call of Salvation under the late Pastor Dunn, and the call to preach the Gospel under the late Pastor Raphael. Pastor Weathersby is energetic, compassionate, dedicated and deeply rooted in the Word of God. He was chosen by God to lead His people into the 21st Century by actively, continually, seeking to fulfill God's divine purpose for the New Hope Baptist Church and the community it serves.